Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins
yield: 12 MUFFINS
1cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup + 3 tablespoons rolled oats (reserve the 3 tablespoons for the tops)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups leftover cranberry sauce
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 12-cup standard-size muffin tin (or add liners).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1 cup oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cranberry sauce, milk, vegetable oil and egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups – about 3/4 to all the way full.
- Sprinkle with the three tablespoons oats.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops spring back when you touch them and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out dry.
- Let cool for about five minutes. Serve.
Adapted from Serious Eats
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Yields: 6-8 servings
4 large sweet potatoes, baked , peeled and mashed
1 cup chopped onion
2-4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger root
Olive oil for sautéing
4 cups of vegetable stock
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup coconut milk (Trader Joe’s light coconut milk is very good)
- Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until tender (approx. 10 min.)
- Add fresh ginger and saute 3 minutes longer.
- Add mashed sweet potato, vegetable stock, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin.
- Cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Puree in batches in a blender careful to securely hold towel over lid (hot liquids tend to blow the top off a blender).
- Alternately, puree using an immersion blender, if available.
- If you like a smoother soup, pass the soup through a mesh sieve to separate out any remaining solids.
- Place all soup back in pot and slowly stir in coconut milk. Heat through and serve.
For more information, please visit