To our dedicated and valued Home Cook Heroes:
Gift of Life Howie’s House is continuing to take all necessary precautions to promote the safety and well-being of our guests.
We are excited to announce that at this time we are welcoming groups of ten or less (including children) back inside for all cooking and baking opportunities!
Brunch, baking, and dinner volunteer groups are welcome to support a date in the following ways:
- Indoor Meal Prep
- We are welcoming back groups of 10 or less, including children. Per our previous standards, there must be one adult present for every 3 children under the age of 18.
- All desserts are being wrapped individually. Similar to before, your group is not required to wrap the desserts, but it is certainly welcomed if you so wish!
- For everyone’s safety, Gift of Life Howie’s House will continue to serve the meal cafeteria style.
- For more information, please call the Front Desk at (267) 546-9800
- Drop off baked goods or prepared meals
- Make a monetary donation to support the cost of a meal facilitated by Howie’s House staff
- Arrange for catering with our Front Desk staff by calling (267) 546-9800
- Donate a gift card (VISA/ACME/TARGET/GRUBHUB) which can be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Gift of Life Howie’s House | Attn: Genevieve Moore | 401 Callowhill St., Philadelphia, PA 19123
- Donate pantry items from our Wish List
Home Cook Heroes – The Basics!
Howie’s House meals are served each evening and brunch is served on the weekends. Please read through the information below to learn how to sign up today!
Groups of up to 10 people (including children) can prepare a meal for our transplant families. All volunteers (including children) must abide by the following:
- MASK REQUIREMENT:As of June 26, masking for guests, volunteers, and staff is optional at Gift of Life Howie’s House EXCEPT AS FOLLOWS: Staff and volunteers are required to mask around guests during meetings interactions LASTING MORE THAN 15 minutes and HELD WITHIN ENCLOSED SPACES (i.e., meetings in an enclosed space/office, shuttle).
- ILLNESS: Many guests at Howie’s House have weakened immune systems due to their treatment and medication. Exposure to communicable diseases represents a more serious danger to those individuals.
- If any member of your group has displayed signs of illness within the last 7 days, they may not participate in cooking, handling any of the ingredients, or volunteering at Howie’s House. Examples include signs of infection, flu-like symptoms, rashes, cough, or GI issues.
Groups may choose to volunteer to prepare and serve:
- Dinner (Every night at 6 pm)
- Brunch (Weekends only at 10 am)
- Baked Goods (Every day during off-peak hours)
Groups are only required to bring the ingredients for the meal. Howie’s House will provide all the tools you’ll need to prepare the meal in our fully-equipped kitchen complete with four ovens, stoves, microwaves, and sinks. We will also provide plates, platters, utensils, etc.
The amount of servings needed per meal depends on Howie’s House guest occupancy. Group leaders will be notified prior to their scheduled date with an estimated headcount. Based on our current occupancy over the past several weeks, we usually range from 50-55 people per night.
Sign up in 3 simple steps.
- Read over the Meal Program Guidelines for information about the Home Cook Heroes Program.
- Recruit Your Team and Select a Date (see calendar below!)
- Sign-Up Your Group Here Once your group’s date and meal is approved, you will receive confirmation from Howie’s House either by phone or email.
- Become a HCH All Star! Want your own plate on our All Star Wall? Provide at least 12 meals in a calendar year and you can!
Check the calendar below for available dates and select one that works for your group. Any date that does not already list your interested opportunity, would be available. We recommend that you have several possible dates in mind when booking your meal.
Have Fun and Be Creative!
Howie’s House is always in need of more pantry items! While shopping for your meal, please feel free to pick up extra grocery items for our guests or invite your family and friends to contribute!
If you are experiencing any issues or have any questions regarding the Home Cook Heroes program, please contact the Front Desk at (267) 546-9800 between 7AM and 10PM.